Place de la Concorde is the largest roundabout in Paris connecting, Champs-Élysées to the Tuileries Gardens.
Originally known as Place Louis XV, this is one of the most historic places to visit in Paris. Place de la Concorde used to house a statue of Louis XV, which was taken down during the French Revolution and turned into a bloody square where a guillotine was placed and thousands of people lost their lives, including Marie-Antoinette and Louis XVI. During this period, it was named Place de la Revolution.
In 1794, after the bloody part of the revolution was over, the square was named Place de la Concorde. The present look of Place de la Concorde came to being in the middle of the 1800s. In 1836, the 23-meter high Luxor obelisk was placed at Place de la Concorde, which was given to King Louis-Phillip from the viceroy of Egypt.
Two of the most famous streets in Paris meet at Place de la Concorde Square, namely Champs-Élysées Ave and Rue de Rivoli.